Deep down you know that being calm and relaxed is good for you.
The relaxed state is good for fertility too, because when you are relaxed your body is able to produce hormones and gather resources needed for conception and to go ahead and create new life.
Stress on the other hand, has far reaching negative effects on fertility and conception. Stress can delay conception by sending the wrong signals to your body, indicating that it is not safe to conceive. But stress can be managed by learning relaxation and hypnosis techniques.
Researchers say the “Relaxation Response” (which is most strongly experienced in hypnosis) can be just as powerful as any medical drug, but without the side-effects.
But realistically, this kind of deep relaxation isn’t the sort of switching off you do with a cup of tea or relaxing on the sofa.
What you’re looking for is a state of deep relaxation where tension is released from the body on a physical level and your mind completely switches off.
You can only really achieve this by learning a specific technique such as self-hypnosis, guided imagery or meditation.
Hypnosis reduces stress and anxiety and hypnosis is widely used to increase the chances of conception, either naturally or through IVF.
So take a calm deep breath, relax and read on…
7 step guide for daily practice of Self-hypnosis to ramp up your chances of conception
Spend a few minutes, once or twice each day in a relaxed state of hypnosis while reinforcing a new self belief that will begin to plant the seeds necessary to create pregnancy success
- Find a place where you will not be disturbed for a while. Settle yourself comfortably. Either sitting or lying down. Close your eyes, get quiet and still, become aware of your breathing, relax… Let your head, neck and shoulders relax more with each breath. Feel your breath flowing through your nose, into your lungs and moving down into your abdomen as you relax even more. Feel your breath gently guide you, connect to your body in a loving way. See yourself drift within to the inner space where you will welcome your baby.
- Imagine yourself in a future moment, several months from now, happily pregnant. Feel the wonderful changes taking place in your body. Vividly create every detail in this future moment. Imagine the happy emotions. Feel the pleasant physical sensations as your baby starts stirring and kicking inside you. Make it very real!
- Feel yourself living each day being pregnant and healthy. Put yourself into this future moment and feel it as a NOW moment. Feel yourself living everyday as a happy, pregnant mum. What other emotions do you have now that you are pregnant? What other positive changes have happened in the process?
- Celebrate your success with your partner. Look back at the past from this future moment. Notice what it feels like to know that the two of you are going to be parents. You are going to have a baby… you have succeeded! How do you feel? Celebrate, feel the emotions of your success!
- To re-alert to wakeful state of awareness just take a few deeper breaths. Allow yourself a few moments, become more aware of your body as you wiggle your fingers and toes. Have a gentle stretch and feel refreshed and alert.
- Repeat the above visualisation and self-hypnosis, over and over. Do it every day, again and again.
- Self-hypnosis repetition is the key to success.
The more time you spend practicing your self-hypnosis methods the better you’ll get, the more likely the chances of success.
Stress, negative emotions, fear of giving birth or past trauma can be a contributing factor or an underlying symptom of infertility.
Seek help from a trained hypnotherapist to help you overcome any underlying emotional causes of unexplained infertility
Conception without stress
Ok, you get it, relaxation is good for you.
But just how does stress have such wide-ranging and negative effects on fertility and conception?
Negative effects of stress on the body are due to the fight-flight response and the release of the stress-hormones, adrenalin and cortisol. Stress raises the heart rate and blood pressure, weakens immunity and lowers fertility.
Stress messages indicate to the reproductive system that it is not safe to fall pregnant while the body is in protective fight-flight.
By contrast, the state of relaxation is linked to higher levels of feel-good chemicals such as serotonin and the growth hormones which repair cells and tissue.
In reality, studies show that Relaxation Response has virtually the opposite effect to stress; lowering heart rate, boosting immunity, boosting fertility and enabling the body to thrive.
Greater chances of conception with hypnosis
Hypnosis sessions with a hypnotherapist have proven to be so successful in fact, that now a specialised field of hypnosis exists, appropriately called HypnoFertility. Hypnosis treatments are particularly successful for couples who have been diagnosed with unexplained infertility.
Even science is catching up – comprehensive scientific studies show that hypnosis and deep relaxation changes your body on a genetic level.
Research at Harvard University, led by Dr Herbert Benson asked a control group to start practising self hypnosis relaxation methods every day. Researchers said: “after two months, their bodies began to change – the genes that help fight inflammation, kill diseased cells, protect the body from cancer and increase fertility, all began to switch on. We found that a range of disease-fighting genes became active in the relaxation practitioners, that were not active in the control group.”
In conclusion, stress can delay conception. Stress sends the wrong signals to the body, indicating that it is not safe to conceive right now. But stress can be managed by learning relaxation and hypnosis techniques.
Furthermore, I highly recommend listening to a Fertility Cd to create a Relaxation Response which will be of enormous help to couples having issues with fertility and conception.
The 7 Minute Guide from this article can also be found on WikiHow
Written and originally published on Oct 10, 2012 by Katherine Ferris, clinical hypnotherapist, specialist in Hypnofertility